A Day in the Dark - Angel Cox
In this powerful and evocative collection of dark short stories by Angel Cox, readers follow a large cast of well thought-out characters and story lines.

Of the thirteen tales, I think "Toward the Light" is my favorite, with "A Rainy Day" and "The Beginning of Prejudice" coming in as a close second and third. This collection is a strong one, using child narrators, women, men; the destitute and the forlorn, with each touching on a different human condition and asking the reader to think and align the message to their own life.

Two of my favorite lines from the collection are:

"Man can never go backward, but his past can light the way for his journey." (Toward the Light)

and:

"They had set forth to rid their town of evil and managed to rid it of pleasure as well." (The Beginning of Prejudice)

There were a few stories in the collection that had rough, abrupt cliffhanger endings; endings that I feel are particularly hard to pull off, and there was another story I wasn't altogether fond of, but overall this collection is a wonderful debut from a writer who has a lot of talent with characterization and setting. Each story was separate and distinct, and as a whole, "A Day in the Dark" was a wholly pleasurable read.